A lot of people get into car accidents every day, and some of them lead to serious injury and disability. A large percentage of these incidents end in death. Despite the measures aimed at improving the roads, the number of accidents does not decrease. Usually, this is facilitated by bad weather conditions, non-observance of traffic rules, and distracted driving. To protect your interests you need the help of a car accident attorney.
Why Do You Need a Lawyer after a Car Accident?
The main task of any lawyer is to protect the rights of his client. This also applies to an attorney involved in a traffic accident. He not only draws up and files a claim, but also represents the interests of the client in a trial. Regardless of who is at fault in a car accident, it is the job of an experienced lawyer to protect the status of the trustee, obtain compensation or recover damages.
Funds received as compensation by a court decision can be used for the following purposes:
- medical expenses (paid procedures, medicines, etc.);
- rehabilitation measures after the main treatment;
- expenses for funeral services in case of death;
- other expenses.
In general, a good lawyer will help his client receive compensation that is hundreds of times higher than standard payments for victims of accidents.
What Determines the Amount of Compensation?
To find out the approximate amount of compensation, it is important to consider the root cause that led to the accident. The police who arrive at the scene of the incident draw up a report based on the investigation. It takes into account the condition of the road, weather conditions, and compliance with the rules by participants in a car accident.
The car accident lawyer conducts his investigation during which he will collect evidence in favor of his client. The following reasons may affect the amount of compensation:
- The poor condition of the roadway is due to insufficient maintenance by responsible companies.
- There are no warning signs on the road section that could warn of a dangerous section.
- The driver was driving while intoxicated.
- There were signs that the driver was distracted from the road.
- The driver made a mistake while making a maneuver.
- The vehicle was in disrepair while driving.
The more facts a lawyer gathers in favor of his client, the higher the chance of getting good compensation for an injury during an accident. In addition to physical injuries, the lawyer may include additional types of payments in the statement of claim. For example, this is compensation for moral damage due to an accident that occurred through no fault of the client.