Slip and fall settlements can help injured victims of accidents pay off medical expenses and make up for the wages they could not earn because of their inability to work. Also, the settlements can provide them with the compensation they need to recover from their injury. Although the settlement amounts can vary, victims must know what to expect if they want to file a personal injury claim.
If you are one of these victims, you should also understand the process involved when you pursue compensation for an injury caused by another person’s negligence. This will help your Redkey Gordon attorney fight for the full compensation you deserve to receive.
Average Settlement for Slip and Fall Claims
Each case and injury are different, so it is not wise to judge your possible claim settlement based on past results in cases. But, it is common for slip and fall cases to settle at $10, 000 to $50, 000 for minor injuries. The settlement amount is higher for serious injuries based on factors such as the following:
- Medical bills. If you sustained an injury due to a negligent party, the latter should pay for your medical costs that can arise because of this injury.
- Lost wages. Medical appointments take time. If your injury and the necessary treatment forces you to take some time off of work, you can pursue compensation for lost wages.
- Future monetary damages. Filing a personal injury claim must be done before the statute of limitation expires. Because of this, future medical bills and lost wages can be sought as part of the claim.
- Recovery-related costs. Transportation, adaptive device, and lodging costs will help you recover, so you can include them in your injury claim.
- Pain and suffering. Your pain and suffering can impact your quality of life, affect your finances, or hamper your recovery. These damages can be a big part of your settlement.
Sometimes, the Case is Not Slip and Fall
Slip and fall accidents belong to premises liability claims. You can sustain an injury because of poorly maintained facilities that resulted in a simple fall, trip in an obstructed walkway, or slip on a wet floor. These personal injury cases are litigated under slip and fall. And a great personal injury attorney can represent you no matter the type of accident you had and how serious your injuries are. They will help collect evidence to prove your injury and accident and ensure you get paid for the maximum compensation you legally deserve.